Genital Dermatology SIG
The BASHH Genital Dermatology (GD) Special Interest Group (SIG) evolved from the Joint Colposcopy and GD group following the BASHH Spring meeting in New York in 2008. It was recognised that colposcopy was declining in genitourinary medicine (GUM) practice, and interest was increasing in the management of genital skin conditions, in which the colposcope could be used as a tool. Use of the colposcope for high-resolution anoscopy saw the colposcopy component being dropped, as the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) Specialist Group were more appropriately placed to develop its use, but we continue to work closely together. Further development of the BASHH Colposcopy and Genital Dermatology SIG occurred in 2011 with some of the original members continuing in new roles, with new faces providing new impetus and support. The name of the SIG was changed to Genital Dermatology SIG in November 2013.
The SIG aims to provide continuing medical education and thus improve quality of patient care.
The overall ambition of the BASHH Genital Dermatology SIG is the improvement of care provision for patients with genital skin complaints attending sexual health and other services. We aim to fulfil this task by:
- Promoting best practice in the management of patients with genital skin complaints by producing and contributing to related guidelines
- Fulfilling educational needs and promoting guidance and support for clinicians with an interest in genital dermatology
- Contributing to postgraduate curricula development in the subject
- Advocating and promoting for good quality genital dermatology care funding and provision in a variety of care settings, including sexual health services
Dr Georgina Morris (Chair)
Wiltshire Sexual Health service (WiSe)
Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
Salisbury District Hospital
Salisbury, SP2 8BJ
Dr Sarah Edwards (Secretary)
Abbey View Clinic
Bury St Edmunds, IP33 1RX
Dr Imali Fernando (Treasurer)
Chalmers Sexual Health Centre
2A Chalmers Street
Edinburgh, EH3 9ES
Dr Parameswaran Sashidharan (Webmaster)
Homerton Sexual Health Services-Clifden Centre
Homerton University Hospital
London, E9 6SR
Dr Serish Basavaraj
Consultant GU & HIV Medicine
Kingsbrook, 5 St John's Street, Bedford, MK42 0AH
Dr Benjamin Goorney
Shine Sexual Health Clinic
Bolton Foundation Trust
Lance Burn Health Centre, Churchill Way
Salford, M6 5QX
Dr Jillian Pritchard
Blanche Heriot Unit
Ashford & St Peter’s NHS Foundation trust
Guildford Road, Chertsey
Surrey, KT16 0PZ
Dr Komal Plaha
Consultant in Sexual Health and HIV
Sexual Health Southwest London
160 Falcon Road
Dr Lisa Haddon
Department of Dermatology
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Cornwall TR1 3LJ
Dr Sarah Schoeman
Brotherton Wing Clinic & Leeds Sexual Health,
A floor Brotherton Wing, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, LS1 3EX
Term of Reference
- The Genital Dermatology SIG is open to all members of BASHH, with an interest in genital dermatology. Members should be active in research/clinical practice in the field of genital dermatology.
- The individual tenure of a member of the Genital Dermatology SIG is initially for three years, renewable on a yearly basis.
- Turnover of members of the SIG should be staggered when possible.
- Applications for membership of the SIG will be sought through the BASHH Newsletter and/or e-mail, when required. The Chairperson or group can also invite new members onto the group.
- BASHH members applying to join the Genital Dermatology SIG will be asked to provide information as to the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities they would bring to the group.
- Other members/fellows of BASHH or those working in the field of Genital Dermatology may be co-opted onto the Committee for specific advice or skills.
Genital Dermatology SIG Office Bearers:
Chair: Dr Sarah Edwards
Secretary: Dr P N Sashidharan
Treasurer: Dr Nicola Steedman
Dr Serish Basavaraj (from 2012)
Webmaster: Alan Tang
Chair: Dr P N Sashidharan
Secretary: Dr Christine Bates
Treasurer: Serish Basvaraj
Webmaster: Dr Imali Fernando
Chair: Dr Christine Bates
Secretary: Dr Sarah Edwards
Treasurer: Dr Serish Basvaraj
Webmaster: Dr Imali Fernando
Chair: Dr Georgina Morris
Secretary: Dr Sarah Edward
Treasurer: Dr Imali Fernando
Webmaster: Dr P N Sashidharan
Genital Dermatology SIG Members from 2011:
2011: Dr Sarah Edwards, Dr P N Sashidharan, Dr Cindy Sethi, Dr Deepa Bansal, Dr Christine Bates, Dr Serish Basavaraj (Trainee Rep), Dr Jill Pritchard, Dr Nicola Steedman, Dr P M Nathan, Dr Alan Tang, Dr Emille Morgan
2013-14: Dr Cindy Sethi, Dr Alan Tang, Dr Emille Morgan stepped down.
2014: Dr Anna Hartley joined as Trainee Rep
2015: Martina Tobby joined
2016: Dr PM Nathan, stepped down
New Members: Dr Georgina Morris, Dr Benjamin Goorney and Dr Dayan Vijeratne,
2016: Dr Sarah Edwards, Dr Christine Bates, Dr P N Sashidharan, Dr Serish Basavaraj, Dr Jill Pritchard, Dr Georgina Morris, Dr Benjamin Goorney, Dr Dayan Vijeratne and Anna Hartley.
Martina Toby left the group
2017: Dr Anna Hartley stepped down.
2019: New Member : Dr Komal Plaha-Trainee rep
Dr Lisa Haddon; Dr Sarah Schoeman
2020: New Member - Dr Hannah Yeend-Curd-Trimble-Trainee rep
Professor Chris Bunker, University College Hospital (Male Genital Dermatology)
Dr Fiona Lewis, Guys and St Thomas Hospital (Female Genital Dermatology)
Dr Manu Shah, Burnley General Hospital (Male Genital Dermatology)
Guidelines/Input from Genital Dermatology SIG
BASHH national guideline on the management of phthirus pubis (currently being updated)
- BASHH national guideline on the management of balanitis (currently being updated)
- BASHH national guideline on the management of molluscum contagiosum (currently being updated)
- IUSTI guideline on the management of molluscum contagiosum (2020)
- BASHH national guideline on the management of scabies (2016)
- BASHH national guideline on the management of vulval conditions (2014)
- European guideline for the management of balanoposthitis (2013)
- BSSVD Standards of care for women with vulval conditions (2013) – with BASHH Genital Dermatology SIG input
Publications from Genital Dermatology SIG members:
- Catton K, Revie P, Weaver K, Fernando I. Looking in the mirror: a quality improvement project for a sexual-health service based genital dermatology clinic. Fourth Joint Conference of BHIVA with BASHH: Edinburgh, UK, April 2018 (P253).
- Sakurai H, Fernando I. Review of a multispecialty vulval dermatology service. Fourth Joint Conference of BHIVA with BASHH: Edinburgh, UK, April 2018 (P262).
- Hartley A, Bates C, Fernando I et al. Genital dermatology is a high proportion of the caseload presenting to walk in sexual health services across the UK. BASHH/ SSSTDI Spring meeting: Belfast UK, June 2017 (O37). 10.1136/sextrans-2017-053232.37
- Sashidharan P N, Christine Bates, Sarah Edwards.BASHH Column: Genital Dermatology SIG. Sex Transm Infect 2016;92:404. doi:10.1136/sextrans-2016-052706BASHH column: Genital Dermatology Special Interest Group.
- Pearce J, I Fernando. The value of a multi-speciality service, including GUM, Dermatology and Urology input, in the management of male genital dermatoses. Int J STD AIDS 2015; 26(10): 716-22.
- BASHH Genital Dermatology Special Interest Group. Importance of genitourinary and urology colleagues working in harmony (letter, rapid response). Alan L Tang, Sarah Edwards, Christine Bates, Mayura Nathan, Jill Pritchard, Deepa Bansal, Imali Fernando, Sashidharan Parameswaran, Emile Morgan, BMJ 2013; 347: f1986.
- Sashidharan PN, Goorney B, Cassell J, Edwards S, Maw R, Kell P. Survey of the management of patients with genital dermatological problems in genitourinary/sexual health clinics in the UK (letter). Sex Transm Infect 2011; 87: 414.
- Hartley AJ, Hourihan M, Paige D, Williams A. Are specialist-led genital dermatology clinics a valuable and necessary part of sexual health service provision in the UK? Sex Transm Infect 2013; 89: 379.
Genital Dermatology SIG Contribution to BASHH OGM /Scientific Meetings
20 March 2011
14 June 2013
12 June 2015
24 March 2017
22 March 2019
Presentation by Genital Dermatology SIG Members at National Meetings
BASHH/SSSTDI Annual Conference:18th -20th June 2017
- Genital dermatology is a high proportion of the case load presenting to walk-in sexual health services across the United Kingdom – Dr Anna Hartley
- What’s new in BASHH Guidelines: Scabies - Dr P N Sashidharan
BASHH Annual SAS Conference
2020 - Workshop on Genital Dermatology - Dr Sarah Schoeman
2019 - Cutaneous manifestations of STIs - Dr P N Sashidharan
Workshop on Genital Dermatology - Dr Imali Fernando
Workshop on Genital Dermatology - Dr P N Sashidharan
British Association of Dermatology: http://www.bad.org.uk/
British Society for the Study of Vulval Disease (BSSVD): http://www.bssvd.org/
Vulval Pain Society: http://www.vulvalpainsociety.org
Association for Lichen Sclerosus and Vulval Health: http://www.lichensclerosus.org
UK Lichen Planus: http://www.uklp.org.uk
The Primary Care Dermatology Society | UK: https://www.pcds.org.uk
Genital Dermatology Resources
For Patient Information leaflets
British Association of Dermatology (BAD) - http://www.bad.org.uk
For “basics” and Images
BASHH Genital Dermatology SIG is grateful to the British Association of Dermatologists for permitting us to use the link as a reference.
We acknowledge the following contributors: Dr Niels K. Veien for permission to allow use of his photographs. Illustrations in this handbook were obtained from "D@nderm" with his permission; Dr Mark Goodfield; Dr Susan Burge; Professor Peter Friedmann; Professor Lesley Rhodes, Mr Kian Tjon Tan, Specialty Dr Yi Ning Chiang,
RCOG (Green top guidelines)
BAD; BSSVD; ISSVD; RCOG; BASHH, EADV
Nonmalignant Dermatologic Diseases of the Male Genitalia.
Updated: Feb 16, 2021 Author: Douglas C Parker
Vulvar Dermatoses: A Practical Approach to Evaluation and Management-Kristen M. A. Stewart, MD (www.jcomjournal.com Vol. 19, No. 5 May 2012 JCOM 205)
Benign Vulvar Lesions Updated: Mar 19, 2021 .Author: Robert A Schwartz,
Vulvar Skin Disorders throughout Lifetime: About Some Representative Dermatoses. Doyen J et.al. BioMed Research.International: Volume 2014 |Article ID 595286 http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/595286
Benign male genital dermatoses. Tang Shim.BMJ 2016;354:i4337
British Association of Dermatologists guidelines for the management of lichen sclerosus 2018 F.M. Lewis , F.M. Tatnall , S.S. Velangi , C. B. Bunker , A. Kumar, F. Brackenbury , 6 M.F. Mohd Mustapa & L.S. Exton
Dermatology Essentials, 2nd Edition
Authors : Jean L. Bolognia & Julie V. Schaffer & Karynne O. Duncan & Christine J. Ko
Date of Publication: 12/2021
Male genital skin disease-Prof Chris Bunker- 2004
Ridley's The Vulva- Sallie Neill, Fiona Lewis et.al (Wiley-Blackwell)-2009
e-Learning for Health modules (Derm& HIV-STI
Genital Dermatology Courses:
The Primary Genital Dermatology Course was started by the SIG in 2011. The distinguishing factor about these Courses were Workshops and each delegate could choose 2 workshops out of 5.
The Genital Dermatology PLUS Course was started in 2016 as a supplementary Course to include topics that could not be covered by the Primary Course
Primary Genital Dermatology Courses : 2011-2019
BASHH Genital Dermatology SIG organised courses for 2020: Cancelled due to Coronavirus epidemic
Bashh Genital Dermatology PLUS Courses: 2016-2019
2020 Course: Virtual
2021 Course: Virtual
Information on BASHH Genital Dermatology PRIMARY Course
Date Venue Link to Programme
11/11/2011 Etc Venues-One Drummond Gate
07/12/2012 CBI Conference Centre
25/10/2013 CBI Conference Centre
24/10/2014 Friends House
16/10/2015 Royal College of Nursing
07/10/2016 Royal College of Nursing
20/10/2017 The Wesley Euston Hotel & Conf Venue
12/10/2018 One Park Crescent Conf Centre
18/10/2019 NCVO Society Building
Information on BASHH Genital Dermatology PLUS Course
Year Venue Link to Programme
24/06/2016 Homerton University Hospital
23/06/2017 The Wesley Euston Hotel & Conf Venue
15/06/2018 The Wesley Euston Hotel & Conf Venue
21/06/2019 National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO)