- To improve the quality of care given to patients presenting to Genitourinary Medicine and HIV Clinics with Sexual Dysfunction
- To provide a forum for education, training and research in the area of sexual dysfunction for all.
Membership of the BASHH Sexual Dysfunction SIG (January 2019)
- Chair: Dr David Goldmeier - email@example.com
- Secretary: Dr Karl Hollows - Karl.Hollows@mpft.nhs.uk
- Dr Shalini Andrews
- Dr Jane Ashby
- Dr Wallace Dinsmore
- Dr John Ewan
- Dr Penny Goold
- Dr Karen Gurney
- Dr Uday Joshi
- Dr Emma McCarty
- Dr Ali Mears
- Dr Kirstin Mitchell
- Agnes Mosobela, Nurse Representative
- Dr Alan Tang
- Sarah Wolujewicz, Physiotherapy Representative
You can download a pdf document on training in Sexual Dysfunction by clicking here
The Sexual Dysfunction SIG performed a survey of sexual function service provision in UK genitourinary medicine clinics in 2007. Please click on this link to download a pdf of the published results: BASHH survey 2007
- Goldmeier D Petrak J How to recognise sexual addiction in the sexual health clinic setting? Sex Transm Infect August 2011 Vol 87 No . pp.370-371
C Emerson MRCP DipGUM D Goldmeier MD FRCP and P Green MBBS DipGUM on behalf of BASHH Special Interest Group for Sexual Dysfunction. Assessing training in sexual dysfunction for genitourinary registrars.Int J STD AIDS 2009;20:745-747
Richardson D, Goldmeier D Recommendations for the management of retarded ejaculation: BASHH Special Interest Group for Sexual Dysfunction. Int J STD AIDS 2006;17:7-13. THESE RECOMMENDATIONS HAVE BEEN REVIEWED AND A UPDATE SUMMARY HAS BEEN PRODUCED: TO COMPLEMENT THE 2006 DOCUMENT: Delayed Ejaculation 2011 update
Link to the BSSM Erectile dysfunction guidelines: http://www.bssm.org.uk/downloads/BSSM-algorithm-premature-ejaculation-v4.pdf
(June 2011): Erectile Dysfunction Auditable Outcomes (Based on BSSM Guidelines- link as above)
- All men with ED should have a sexual and relationship history taken. Target: 100% offered, 100% accepted.
- All men with ED should have a comprehensive medical history taken that includes: drug history, psychological and social history including information on alcohol and recreational drug use. Target 100% offered, 100% accepted.
- All men with ED should have a genital examination. Target 100%, 85% accepted *
- All men with ED should have a cardiovascular risk assessment. This includes, as a minimum: blood pressure reading, body mass index, blood glucose and lipids. Target 100% offered, 85% accepted.
- All men with ED should have their serum total testosterone measured. Target 100% offered, 85% accepted.
- First line treatment should be offered at the initial appointment. Target 90% offered and accepted*.
* patients initially seeing a psychologist or sex therapist may not have a genital examination, and treatment initiation may be deferred in patients deemed to have psychogenic ED until a more complete history is taken- which may take a few sessions. "Treatment", however includes sex therapy as well as medications or vacuum devices ; it is recommended that when undertaking audits that patients seeing psychologists or sex therapists are assessed separately from those seeing physicians.
Contact the Sexual Dysfunction SIG
- If you have an enquiry about the SIG or any 'sexual dysfunction' query, please email Dr David Goldmeier firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steering Group Meeting St Mary’s Hospital 18th December 2018
- Masterclass in Sexual Dysfunction, RCN 15th November 2018
- Steering Group Meeting St Mary’s Hospital 16th November 2017
- ABC of Sexual Dysfunction, RCN 19th October 2017
- Steering Group Meeting St Mary’s Hospital 24th November 2016
- BASHH OGM October 14th 2016 Afternoon Session
- Steering Group Meeting Manchester 19th November 2015
- ABC of Sexual Dysfunction, Manchester, 15th October 2015
- Steering Group Meeting Manchester 19th November 2014
- BASHH OGM 17th October 2014 Afternoon Session
- Steering Group Meeting St Mary’s Hospital 14th November 2013
- ABC of Sexual Dysfunction, RSM 17th October 2013
- Steering Group Meeting St Marys Hospital, 15th November 2012
- Satellite Symposium BASHH Spring Meeting 27-29 June 2012
- ABC of Sexual Dysfunction, RSM 24th October 2011
- Steering group meeting, St Mary's Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. 25th May 2011
- ABC of Sexual Dysfunction. RSM 20th October 2009
- Steering group meeting, THT, 19th November 2008
- The Sexual Function SIG is presented at the BASHH OGM, 3rd October 2008
- Steering group meeting, RSM, 21st November 2007
- Sexual Dysfunction Masterclass, RSM, 16th October 2007
(Please click here for details of the programme)
- Sexual Dysfunction Masterclass - Practical Approaches to the Management of Sexual Dysfunction - Wednesday 1st November 2006 - RSM
- Managing Sexual Dysfunction in the 21st Century (6th/7th May 2005)